How to Find the Right Accredited Certified Nursing Assistant Training Program Near Juneau Alaska
Once you have made a decision to practice in the healthcare field as a certified nursing assistant, it's time to begin the process of finding CNA classes near Juneau AK. Once you have achieved your certification, you will begin a fulfilling career in one of the fastest increasing occupations in healthcare within the United States. Even though it may seem like a complicated undertaking, it's important that you choose the ideal course to obtain the necessary training and education. A number of prospective students begin with the two most essential qualifications, which are the location of the school and the price of tuition. You may also be pondering whether to attend CNA classes on campus, or enroll in an online CNA program and attend them from home. More concerning that option later. But doing your due diligence before deciding on a program entails much more than comparing the price or location. Such factors as accreditation and the reputation of the school must similarly be considered. We will be addressing those topics as well as several other questions that you should be asking before you register in a CNA school. But to begin with, let's talk a little bit about what a nursing assistant does and the type of training and credentials that are available.
It Takes Just a Few Minutes to Start Your CNA Career
The Job of a Nursing Assistant
CNAs (certified nursing assistants) work under LPNs (licensed practical nurses) and RNs (registered nurses) to care for patients in a multitude of healthcare environments, such as hospitals, medical clinics or nursing homes. CNAs work closely with patients, but they perform different functions than RNs or LPNs, routinely helping with activities of daily living like bathing and dressing patients. RNs and LPNs are more highly educated, while CNAs can can earn certification by enrolling in relatively short training courses at Juneau AK area nursing or vocational schools, including online programs, or at regional junior colleges.
CNA TrainingUnlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at community colleges or at Juneau AK vocational or trade schools. The length of the instruction can take anywhere from one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to receive at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which must be clinical or "hands-on" training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction directed and every state has its specific prerequisites. So it's crucial to make sure that the course you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but also those for the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the education is state certified. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional prerequisites as well.
Online CNA Schools
Attending CNA classes online is growing into a more preferred way to receive instruction and earn a certificate or diploma in Juneau AK. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs require a certain amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical answer to finding the free time to attend school for some students. Pertaining to tuition, many online CNA programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). So if your job and family commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online CNA school will make it more convenient to fit earning a certificate into your active schedule.
Questions to Ask CNA Colleges
There are numerous CNA training schools within the greater Juneau Alaska area, but choosing one that provides an effective, quality program can be quite challenging. Since you are going to invest your valuable time, money and energy into this training, it’s important that you choose the right school to help ensure that you will become a qualified Certified Nursing Assistant. So always investigate properly before enrolling in any institution. One way to get a better idea about a prospective school and its quality is to interact with recent graduates or current students. You may be able do it online if the school has any discussion forums. And before making your final selection, you should also take some of the following additional factors into consideration.
- Location of CNA School Campus. First thing to note while selecting any CNA training school is its location and the distance you need to travel to reach the school. If you prefer not to travel long distance, then you should select a school near your Juneau AK residence.
- Accreditation. Select a CNA program which is accredited by one or more highly regarded organizations, such as the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing and Education (CCNE). Accreditation ensures that the school adheres to all of the essential standards of education as set down by these specialized nursing institutions, thus guaranteeing you will be provided a quality education.
- Class Sizes. You also need to examine the class and school size as some students opt for smaller schools and classes to get individual attention, while others may opt for bigger schools with more students.
- Affiliations. The most important part of training as a Certified Nursing Assistant is the practical experience. So when selecting a CNA training school always make sure that it is affiliated with Juneau Alaska area nursing homes, hospitals or other health care facilities where you can intern and gain practical knowledge.
- Facility. One of the key factors to consider when evaluating any CNA training school is the quality of the facilities available for practical training. Before enrolling, visit the school and training facilities on campus. If possible, sit in on some classes.
- Tuition Fees and Scholarships. Tuition fees for CNA programs differ from school to school and are based on many factors, such as your status as a resident in Alaska or if you are an out-of-state student, and whether the school is public or private. Many schools offer scholarships and financial aid, which can make education affordable or at least manageable for those with more limited finances. Scholarship policies differ from school to school, so it’s important to inquire about available CNA scholarships before enrollment.
Find Out How to Become a CNA in Juneau
Choose the Best Juneau Nurse Assistant Training
Deciding on the ideal certified nursing assistant degree program is perhaps the most important phase to launching a new career in the medical care field. There are numerous factors that you should think about when picking a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and financial status. As we have stressed within this post, it is critical that you pick a CNA college and a certificate program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a CNA in Juneau Alaska.